Sunday, May 3, 2009

Cox Providence Road Races 2009

EDIT:
I CRUSHED MY PR!!!!!!!
The race timing company email me my results:

Gun Time: 26:47.90
Net Time: 26:31.43
Place: 183
Place in Division: 90
Total finishers in your division: 190
Place in your gender: 125
Total finishers in your division: 302

26:31!!!! Thats a full minute and 3secs faster then my old PR!!!!! AWESOME!

Today was the day of the Cox Providence Road Races 2009. There was a Marathon, Half Marathon and a 5k. I really wanted to do the Half today but my injury a few weeks ago put a quick stop to that. So when the company I worked for said they would pay for anyone who wants to run the 5K, I said sure! Can't say no to a free race! Mark and Justin already signed up for the Marathon and Drew signed up for the Half.
I got there early so I could watch the guys start their run.That was at 8:00 and my 5K was at 11:00AM, so I had some time to kill. I jumped in the car and made my way down to around the mile 5 marker of the marathon and Half route. I figured I would go and cheer them on. I saw Michelle out there running. She was going for a PR in the Half and she did! Good Job Michelle! Anyways...I first saw Drew so I jumped in and started running with him. Just as I jumped in, Mark joined us. I was a little surprised to see Mark due to the fact that he was running the marathon and drew was running the half. So I stayed with them for about a half a mile, wished them luck and peeled off.
Next was Justin. He was looking strong after 5 miles. I jumped in and ran with him for a little also.

Then I saw Mark's sister Laura. She was running her 20th Half marathon!!! So I ran with her for a bit as well. I figured all these were good warm up runs.
After that I jumped back in the car and got back to the finish line to wait for Drew to finish. He finished strong! Good Job Drew!Alright, my 5k. Since I have only ran 3 times in the past 3 weeks, I was going to take this run nice and easy. BUT, the thing was...I have been preparing to PR my company's 5k race, but that got canceled. So at the starting line I said what the hell, I am going for it. My PR was 27:34. Gun sounded and I was off. I settled into a great pace, Mile 1 - 8:36. There were a few long not so steep hills in the first 2 miles of the course, Mile 2 - 8:43. Last 1.1 miles...mostly flat, lets go! I am on pace to break the PR...lets keep it moving! Mile 3 - 8:26! The last .1 miles was probably the toughest. I really had nothing left and I tried to give it one last kick, mile .1 - 1:06 for a PERSONAL BEST - 26:47!!!!!!!! I destroyed my PR!!!! I was so excited! All the training, tempo runs, track work, hill repeats and cross training paid off!!!!
So after my run I found drew and we waited for Mark and Justin to finish their Marathon. First we saw Mark. He finished strong and came in under 4 hours!!!! Great job Mark. Then Justin came in with a time of 4:19. Great job Man! Both of them just ran 26.2 miles....thats just incredible.

Here are the results:

5K
Shawn - 26:47 PR
Steve - 28:06

Half
Michelle - 1:50:09
Drew - 1:52:46
Laura - 2:14:10

Marathon
Mark - 3:59:29
Justin - 4:19:07

Great job to everyone!!!! What an awesome day and it was a great event! NEXT YEAR I WILL BE RUNNING THE HALF!!!!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Congrats again on the PR!!!!! It was a great day for racing!

Unknown said...

Awesome job with the PR! You kicked that course's butt.

It was very cool of you to go out and cheer everyone else on before your race started.

majorcane said...

As one of the people he cheered on - i really appreciate you being out there at 8am. Thanks for the support at mile 5 and the music at 8.

Rachel said...

Good job!!! It gets easier, huh?