Thursday, April 9, 2009

Thursday = Track Day and Other Stuff

The guys ran to the URI track today (except for Justin..pffft). It was my first time doing 800s. Here is the break down:

3 x 800 goal pace was @ 4:05 with a 400 recovery
800 - 4:02
400 - 2:26
800 - 4:07
400 - 2:28
800 - 4:05
400 - 2:28

After I was done with my 800s I had some time to kill waiting for the others to finish up so I added another mile to my mileage on the track. Then the run back to work was great. I felt really good.

Totals
7 miles
1 hr 5 mins 50 secs

Recently I have been really happy with my running. All my run training is really paying off. I am a little concerned that I might be extending my runs a little longer then they need to be since I am not really training for distance at the moment. Weekend long runs of 7 and 9 miles seems a bit much. But after last weekend's 9 miler, I feel I could train and get myself ready to at least finish a half marathon. The thought has crossed my mind a lot this week. The only thing I am concerned with is injuring myself going to far to fast. I am going to give it another week and also see how Saturday's 9 mile run goes. If I decide to run the half marathon in May, my goal will be to finish, nothing more. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

You know I'm all for you doing the half : ) Seriously, though - as long as you're not increasing your mileage more than 10% per week, you should be fine. When i did my first half, the only long runs I did were a 6, an 8, and a 10. I wasn't fast, but I finished and felt great. No need to preregister - this race doesn't sell out - so just give it another week or so and see how you feel.

Glad the running is going so well for you - you're doing great!

Unknown said...

With your run training going so well and you doing 9-mile runs already, I would say go for it. As long as you training smart and listen to your body, the threat of injury should be minimal.

Have a great Easter!